Sunday 12 December 2010

Of dropped kerbs and parked cars

I have a dropped kerb and a driveway. Actually, technically they belong to my landlord, but that's just splitting hairs. I think it's a parking offence for someone else to park in front of my driveway, I'd have to check the law for that, but really, I'm not too bothered about that. My neighbours park in front now and again, and since they always move their car when I ask them, it's not a problem.

Other people seem to have a problem with it, though. My other next door neighbour put a note on my mother-in-law's windscreen when she parked in front of their drive once, and even went to the extreme of getting a clamp put on someone's wheel once. Much swearing, shouting and shoving resulted.

Last night, I went out for a meal with my partner, and her cousin and her friend Racquelle came over to babysit the kids. This morning, the old lady across the road knocked on the door and demanded in no uncertain terms, that Racquelle move her car, which was parked maybe two feet into the old lady's dropped kerb.

"Yack yack yack, I paid this much to get the kerb done, people are so rude these days." No please can you move your car, no thank you for moving the car. Now, is that a way to make a reasonable request? I ask you.

To her eternal credit, and probably in no small way due to the alcohol consumed the previous night, Racquelle moved her car, and also told the old girl to piss off.

People. Come together. Can't we all just get along? Pur-leeze.

We're moving in a couple of weeks anyway, which is probably none too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment