Thursday 11 November 2010

A motorway epiphany

Driving home from work early in the morning, I often get into a train of thought.

Last night, I was thinking about my relationship with my partner, and I realised that, despite any arguments or disagreements we may have, our relationship is very strong, especially considering we've been together now for over 10 years, and I now can't foresee a time when we will split up. What's more, I wouldn't want to foresee such a time.

I also realised that I may not have travelled the world. I may not have done anything like helping to feed people in poorer parts of the world, or teaching illiterate people how to read, or any other good works like that. But I have, at least, made one person happy in the course of my life. And, hopefully, my children will grow up and maybe do good works, but at least will make people happy in some small measure, and gain happiness thereby for themselves.

So when I die, I can reflect that my life's not been wasted. I've made a small difference for the good in the lives I've touched (I hope).

Admittedly, I did then pull off the slip road onto the A406 and nearly crashed into a Mercedes van. Ironic? Maybe I should try not to think such deep thoughts at 4 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment